Friday, May 26, 2017

Hoppin' With MISTI May 26, 2017

Hi everyone!  So excited for this joint HOP with the lovely folks from Sweet Petunia - inventers of that awesome stamping tool, the MISTI!

Image may contain: text

Those of you who belong to The Unity Show & Tell Facebook Group (HINT-if you don't, click on the link and ask to join!) you've probably seen some fabulous artists sharing their "no line watercolor" projects.  I find I'm using my MISTI (a stamp alignment/stamping tool) more and more every day and it's perfect for this technique.

Here's my card using a former SOTW - Alfie-Heart & Soul Mouse and a sentiment from Walk with Your heart.


The stamping/coloring process is really quite easy.  Lay your card stock (or in this case watercolor paper) in the MISTI and position your image on the card stock.  Close the MISTI (this picks up the stamp) and check to see if your alignment is correct.  You can buy grid paper for the MISTI or use a piece of plain old printer paper cut to size.  Once you're confident in your alignment, ink up your stamp with a very light color of ink.  For this sample (and since I'm using distress markers to color the image), I used Antique Linen Distress Ink.




After you stamp the image DO NOT REMOVE your stamp YET!  Take your panel over to your work area and color as you normally would.  I try to "pull" the outline into the image and then add details as I go. Once I'm satisfied with my coloring (is that ever???), I put the panel back on the MISTI platform.  The picture below show this process.  The first one is simply using a paint brush and water to soften the stamped lines. This entire image was colored with only 2 colors of distress marker...Vintage Photo and Pickled Raspberry.






Now, take a darker marker and be careful to color only the mouse's whiskers, top knot, eyes, and mouth/nose.  Stamp exactly on top of your colored image and viola! you have added some detail...THANK YOU MISTI for the perfect stamp positioner!  I added a bit of shading and sharpened up the last layer and then put my card together.



I kept my layout simple so as to focus on the image.  I stamped the sentiment with VersaMark on black cardstock and embossed it with white embossing powder.  I die-cut the sentiment into a speech bubble and mounted it with foam tape.  This entire card took me only about 30 minutes.  Nothing better than a simple image, sentiment and my fantastic MISTI!

Here's another on I've done using Perfect Day Hummingbird and Too Much, Too Often Daisies.  My technique was exactly the same, although the colors I started with seemed a bit dark to create the "no line" technique so I stamped them off first by putting a piece of plain copy paper on top of my watercolor color paper on the MISTI platform, stamping, then stamping on my watercolor paper.


All of the stamps I've used are on sale at Unity this weekend.

Thank you for stopping by and don't forget... everyone who leaves a comment on all the blogs in the hop will go into a drawing for 3 prize packs from Unity and 1 from My Sweet Petunia for their choice of an Original or Mini MISTI. Please leave a comment by May 30th at noon central time to be eligible. Winners will be posted on both the Unity and the My Sweet Petunia blogs on May 31st.

Here's the list of all the lovelies that are hopping.

Your next stop should be Kelli Hull

115 comments:

  1. it all looks so easy! these are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's that precious mouse again.... love your no line watercoloring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have mastered the no line coloring with that mouse!!!!!
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet. Love the step by step instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely. Great idea with the whiskers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great instructions. I want to go do this now but need to keep hopping. Hope I don't forget your great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelli Hull's page does not show Unity or Misti.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love both your cards, Kris!! Great step by step instructions too - thanks! Have a lovely weekend :) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just bought that hummingbird stamp...now I need to pull it out because you inspired me! Love your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the instruction!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to try this no line Watercolor technique soon! Really pretty. Thank you for sharing Kris.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my.. drop dead gorgeous.. both of these are stunning Kris!! I need to try this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ADORE that little mouse! LOL (The ONLY WAY I adore mice is on paper!) ;) Your no line water coloring is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! AND your second card is BEAUTIFUL TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) SUPER JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Been looking forward to your blog. Did not disappoint. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That mouse is the sweetest. I am really liking this no lines coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That hummingbird card is adorable!! I love the colors you used and haven't seen those Unity stamps before, they're gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. your watercoloring is excellent!!! I am jealous of you! adorable mouse and hummingbird cards. someone will be excited to get those cards sent to them.
    thanks for sharing your marvelous work
    Paula Driver

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your coloring! Such pretty cards!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing no line stamping and wonderful images and cards.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautifully done. I wish I could get that technique to work for m.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful cards. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really cute cards! Love the design.
    natgodfrey4@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your cards. Alphie is one of my favorite Unity stamps. He's so cute. You did an amazing job in coloring him.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE your hummingbird card! That is such a sweet little bird!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your coloring is exquisite. I really need to give this technique another try. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great cards. Thanks for sharing exact tips for the watercoloring

    ReplyDelete
  27. This little mouse is so precious and I loved how you colored him. Same with that hummingbird. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That little mouse is adorable and you brought him to life. That is a great tip for adding detail at the end with the Misti!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your little mouse is so adorable! LOVE the coloring!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW Kelli, I am trying to learn how to do no-line WC but I am light years away from this! Your cards are gorgeous. Your WC is superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Oooops, SORRY, I meant Kris, not Kelli!

      Delete
    2. No worries. Lots of people in this hop.

      Delete
  31. That mouse is adorable, but the hummingbird is beautiful! I need to try no line watercoloring

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cute mouse and lovely humming bird cards.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That mouse is more than precious. Great cards. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You do such beautiful work! I can see where the Misti is extremely helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love your coloring on these pretty cards! Adorable mouse and beautiful hummingbird!

    ReplyDelete
  36. That little mouse is adorable. Love your coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your coloring is fantastic! Love both cards!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the fabulous technique ... beautiful cards

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful cards Kris! Love that sweet mouse and your no line coloring

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love your beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  41. That mouse is precious! Great coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Amazing stuff. Those little mouse whiskers melted my heart a little bit, and I have been eyeing that hummingbird for a while now. Off to add it to my cart!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Mr. Mouse...adorable! But the Hummingbird is STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful cards. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your coloring is just beautiful! All of your cards are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Really nice! I love the tip about leaving the stamp on to add details later. Never would have thought of that. I have the little mouse stamp so I am gonna have to try it out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  47. I had to smile when I saw the little mouse.
    He is so sweet and looks so lonesome.
    The hummingbird is beautiful.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  48. That is the cutest hummingbird I've ever seen. Good choice of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Alfie is the cutest mouse ever! Your no line coloring is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  50. The no line coloring is what caught my eye. Thanks for sharing your technique, Kris. Lovely work, as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Mercy! You used a Hummingbird! but that Mouse, he just stole my heart! Your coloring made him irresistible! I need to try no line coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  52. The images you chose are perfect for this technique. I've got to try it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Beautiful Mouse and Hummingbird cards using the "no line watercolor" technique . Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  54. your mouse card is adorable and i love the layout you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Just beautiful. I love that mouse, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  56. That hummingbird is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Such cute little critters. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  58. That mouse is so adorable and your coloring is so great on the no-line method.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Love the no line technique! Adore the hummingbird set, i live about an hour south of you and the desert hummingbirds are the best!!! Thx for the inspiration! Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Always love a hummingbird card.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hummingbirds are my favorite! Love how beautiful your card are. Both lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I love both cards - I must try this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the technique. Those stamps are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Such a great idea. Love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Hummingbirds are my favorite, can't wait to try this. Lovely card

    ReplyDelete
  66. Have to get that hummingbird stamp. Love these

    ReplyDelete
  67. What sweet cards and pretty coloring. I need to give the no-line coloring a try!

    ReplyDelete
  68. So neat and you make it seem so easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  69. I need to finish getting my distress markers. You did a beautiful job! The mouse is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Great no line stamping - cute card with the mouse

    ReplyDelete
  71. Love your no line coloring on these cards....such pretty work!

    ReplyDelete
  72. That lil mouse is SO cute and I love the hummingbird. Amazing painting.

    ReplyDelete
  73. gorgeous watercoloring and cards - love the hummingbird especially :-) Debi x

    ReplyDelete
  74. So cute. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  75. Awe, so sweet. Love that lil face! ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  76. Kelli, oh how sweet your cards are! Who could resist that sweet, little mouse, and your hummingbird is so beautiful and delicate. I love them both. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  77. Cute cards. Thanks for sharing how you used the Misti and the no line watercoloring.

    ReplyDelete
  78. This hop maybe dangerous. Unity stamps is new to me and I already have three things on my wishlist. That mouse is one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  79. Kris, your coloring made that hummingbird come alive. The image on Unity doesn't compare to what you did with it. This stamp is now in my cart, lol! TFS! Love them. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  80. thanks Kris, for sharing. Love your coloring of that adorable mouse

    ReplyDelete
  81. Lovely cards. Thank you for sharing. Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  82. Both of your cards are very pretty, but my favorite is the hummingbird, I love them and have a feeder so the hummingbird catches my eye, but it is such a pretty card, love how you did them both.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Love your cards and love the Unity line of stamps, such whimsical images. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  84. Loved your cards! That little mouse has attitude! ha Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  85. What gorgeous cards! You did such a beautiful job coloring them. Thanks for showing us the technique!

    ReplyDelete
  86. Love the effect you have achieved on these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  87. Awesome no line coloring Kris, beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  88. Very pretty cards. Love how you watercolored.

    ReplyDelete
  89. the mouse is SO CUTE! And the flowers so pretty. Great cards

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you have dropped by. Each and every comment means a lot to me.